So, do you have a certain cookie recipe that you just love? One that is unique, memorable, and one you can not live without at Christmas? Well, these Candy Cane Cookies are one of mine.
I first started baking these when my children were little. I loved them so much because they were a wonderful shortbread variation of a cookie that was such a Christmas classic, I could not help but bake them every year.
The recipe is actually quite simple. Once you mix up the dough, it is only a matter of working through a few simple steps to make these amazing Candy Cane Cookies in your kitchen.
I will be honest, the only difficult part, and it is not really difficult, is shaping the cookies into their candy cane shape. All you need is a little patience and the cookies will turn out amazing.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons red food coloring
- Flour and butter aerosol spray
- Preheat the oven to375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl with a mixer at medium speed, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, extracts, beating well. Slowly add in flour and blend well. Divide into two equal portions, placing one in a separate bowl. Mix red food coloring into one half of the dough.
- Spray work surface with flour and butter spray.
- Break off about 1 tablespoon of each dough (white and red)
- Roll each piece into a 4 inch strip. Place both strips side by side and twist together to form candy cane shape. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 7 minutes until firm but not browned. Cool on a wire rack.
So, as a Merry Christmas to all my children, here are the Candy Cane Cookies you have always loved. I love that I can share these now with all my followers. It is a very special recipe that reminds me of when my children were young. Now I am giving it to you to share with your family and friends. Enjoy!