I don’t know about you, but when the heat of the summer really kicks in, all I want to eat are light meals made from great summer produce. Here in Texas when the weather goes from hot to hotter, I break out all my great salad recipes and sometimes reinvent them just a little. This recipe for Cool and Creamy Cucumber salad fits right in as a great summer dish. It’s fresh, healthy and light. I can sit down and eat a big bowl all by itself, but it is also perfect as a side dish with any grilled meat or other main dish.
My recipe for Cool and Creamy Cucumber Salad is a actually a slight variation of a salad my daughter and I love to make. You start with fresh, crisp cucumbers. The English style cucumbers are awesome because they have less seeds and the skin is so thin you don’t even have to peel them. I also use my Microplane Box Grater so the cucumber slices come out super thin. Then by adding onion, fresh dill and making a creamy dressing made with Greek yogurt and fresh lemon juice, you have a creamy, crunchy, salad that I think will be one of your favorites too.
This recipe is one of my favorites because it reminds me of the amazing salads we used to eat at restaurants in Germany. Cucumber salads like this one would often accompany a dinner of Schnitzel and potatoes of some sort and would perfectly balance out the meal.
So, don’t even heat up the kitchen tonight with the oven or stove top. Crank up the grill, make some beautiful salmon or chicken and then whip up a big bowl of my Cool and Creamy Cucumber Salad. Then sit back and relax as you enjoy your dinner on the patio and another hot summer day draws to a close.
- 2 large English cucumbers
- ½ small Spanish (red) onion
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Nonfat Greek yogurt or low fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- Wash and cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise. Slice with a Microplane box grater, using the slicing blade or thinly slice with a very sharp knife. Place in a bowl.
- Slice onions very thin and add to the cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, pepper, yogurt, and lemon juice.
- Mix in dill. Pour over salad and mix together until completely combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.