Ok, this is one of those memorable recipes that a dear friend Kelly gave to me when we were here in San Antonio several years ago. She and her beautiful daughters were such an instrumental part of our lives as my girls became friends quickly with hers. God just loves to do that sometimes. Kelly was my rock while they lived here for a short time and we shared so many things. One Thanksgiving that we were able to spend together, she made this amazing Cranberry Apple Casserole. I was hooked. It is sort of a dessert, but can easily replace the usual cranberry sauce you have on your menu. I am so grateful for all Kelly shared and taught me over the years. Our friendship is still strong to this day, as we pick up right where we left off any time we are able to spend time together or just talk.
There is not too much that goes into this recipe for Cranberry Apple Casserole. It is super simple and it will be a sure hit at any holiday table. I love how the tartness of the cranberries compliment the sweetness of the apples and other ingredients. And the oatmeal adds an awesome crunch to the topping of this casserole. Again, it can be served as a side dish or dessert, depending on how you want to make it a part of your holiday meal. But, holiday aside, you can make this any time of year as a side to pork, poultry or beef.
From the Memorable Kitchen, this is one of those recipes that does not have to have too much explanation. It is a recipe from a beloved friend, who is etched in my heart forever. The recipe is just a small part of what Kelly brought to my life and still does. The cooking and recipes we have shared are just one aspect of what we share as friends. It is so much deeper than that, as too often she was my voice of reason, shoulder to cry on and Christian friend. I hope all of you have a Kelly in your life. It will change your world. Love and hugs from the Memorable Kitchen.
- 3 cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup Oatmeal
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ - ½ cup butter, melted (1/2 – 1 stick)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together apples, cranberry sauce, 2 tablespoons flour and ¼ cup sugar.
- Mix thoroughly and place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Mix together oatmeal, pecans, ⅓ cup flour, brown sugar and melted butter, until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve as a side or dessert.