I love the holidays. I know I inherited this love from my mom. It didn’t matter what holiday was, she always made it SUPER special. From Christmas to Easter, Valentines Day to 4th of July, she made sure that my sisters and I knew the significance of the day. She also made sure that we would celebrate each holiday in a special way. Quite often that involved making crafts, presents, decorations, and of course, lots of fun food and treats. I guess that is why I LOVE making holidays special too. I love sharing many of the same traditions that my mom taught me about the holidays with my own children and grandchildren. And since I love baking and cooking, fun foods are always a part of my holiday celebrations. Easter M&M Cookies are just one version of a treat that I enjoy baking this time of the year. Since M&M’s come in so many flavors and colors now, the cookie possibilities are endless.
You just start with a simple, basic cookie dough recipe and start adding lots of different ingredients based on the season or holiday. Just imagine Pink Strawberry M&M’s in your Valentine’s cookies, Green Mint M&M’s in a chocolate cookie dough base for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration, or Orange Candy Corn M&M’s in your cinnamon cookie creation! Yum! A cookie for any and every holiday!
Now that my children have grown up and out of the house, I don’t have the school events and bake sales that I can take these holiday cookies too. But, wait, that doesn’t stop me from baking cookies like these Easter M&M Cookies any chance I get. Instead, I love spoiling my coworkers every chance I get and also the military troops at the USO when I cook for them. Since I have been doing this for 4 plus years, I can not imagine how many dozens of cookies I have baked! And that doesn’t even count all the ones from when my children were little! All I know is that I have had to buy bigger cookie sheets, more parchment paper, and I have worked on the cookie recipe, so that they are perfect every time. Well, except when I forget to set the timer!!!
So, I want to wish all of you a happy holiday weekend. If you don’t get a chance to make these Easter M&M Cookies, just buy the M&M’s on sale on Monday, and make some Mother’s Day Cookies in a few weeks. Or better yet, watch for the Red, White and Blue M&M’s, for your Memorial Day or 4th of July Cookies. Happy Holidays from the Memorable Kitchen.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavored extract
- 2½ cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-12 ounce bag M&M's (I used pastel M&M's for Easter or other Spring holidays)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the butter and sugars. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Beat and additional 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. Add the M&M's to the batter. Using a medium stainless steal scoop, place on a cookie sheet prepared with parchment paper or cooking spray. Place the scoops 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes until slightly brown on the edges. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before placing on a cooling rack. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.