Happy Spring! Happy Farmer’s Market Days! Happy Fresh Cooking! Although I think my favorite time of year to cook is during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, truth be told, I think I am starting to love Springtime even more. It’s all probably due to the fact that I am making more dishes that are fresh, have more whole ingredients and are lighter. When I say lighter, yes, lower in fat and calories, but also lighter tasting. That is why I came up with this wonderfully easy and fresh Garden Vegetable Dip.
It really is so simple, and actually gets better if you make it ahead of time, like the day before your special brunch, shower or barbecue. It starts with a base of light sour cream and fat free Greek yogurt. Then, all those yummy flavors from the vegetables, herbs and seasonings marry together into a beautiful, light and healthy dip. When I say simple, the one thing that helps me put together this Garden Vegetable Dip so quickly is my favorite gadget in the world…my handy, dandy chopper. There are several versions of vegetable choppers out there, but this one is my favorite. I especially like the plates that are good for chopping small things like garlic. Everyone always asks how I make such perfectly uniform size veggie pieces in all my recipes. I could tell them it is my amazing knife skills (NOT)! Instead, I do tell them the truth about my favorite kitchen tool.
So, what else makes this recipe for Garden Vegetable Dip so easy? It is the flavorful addition of a dry packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix. After that you can give the dip a burst of flavor with additional herbs and spices. You can make the basic dip or change up the flavor profile by adding cumin, chili powder and cilantro for a Tex-Mex flare. Or how about Cajun with some creole seasoning, capers, cayenne, and chives. I guarantee it will be the new, fresh appetizer you can add to any party table.
Finally, I do want to share a cute story about my Garden Vegetable Dip. I often make this dip for my Cooking Classes at the USO. Most of the troops like recipes that are loaded with vegetables and are great healthy alternatives. But, there are still a few of “the kids” that are not too fond of vegetables, especially when I tell them all the ingredients that are in this dip. But, just like a mom, I suggest trying “just a little”. Once they taste it, they become believers! I think it is because like most healthy recipes, if you add some great flavors like herb and spices, you will not even know you are eating something that is good for you.
So have fun experimenting with my Garden Vegetable Dip. Be creative by adding different fresh herbs and spices. Whatever your flavor profile, it will be so fresh and healthy with all the great veggies you are starting with. And, Happy Spring cooking from the Memorable Kitchen!
- 1- 8 oz container light sour cream
- 1- 4 oz container fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 packet dry Hidden Valley Dip and Dressing Mix
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 small sweet peppers, finely chopped(I use a variety of red, orange, and yellow)
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- ½ of an English cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2-3 firm Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ cup baby carrots, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh herbs like dill, parsley, or chives
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, basil, or tarragon (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour or up to 24 hours before serving.
- Serve with a variety of fresh vegetable and crackers.
- Can be used as a sandwich spread or condiment for chicken or fish.