It’s time for the big game again!!! Super Bowl Sunday. Otherwise known as the day we get to go to “Appetizer Heaven”. Whether we like football or not, at least it is the one day of the year that we get to eat pizza, wings, chili, nachos, and dip, all in one setting. And hey, it will do one of two things for us…Allow us to declare that our New Year’s Resolution has officially been broken…Or, convince us that we can eat yummy food and be athletic at the same time. Just not sure if watching a football game counts as being athletic. So, I promise you, I do love to cook healthy recipes, homemade dishes with whole ingredients, but there are some times, like Super Bowl Sunday that we get to cheat just a little. So, let me help by adding a recipe that is so amazing and sure to be a hit at your Super Bowl spread. How about some Loaded Cornbread to go with that chili?
Loaded Cornbread, you say? What defines Loaded Cornbread? Well, this recipe starts with your basic cornbread ingredients. Then by adding cream style corn, and creamy buttermilk, you create a moist and light base for your cornbread. But, what takes it over the top is the savory and spicy additions that make it the most amazing cornbread you will ever eat. So how does cornbread with some sweet onion in it sound? Then, how about adding in some jalapenos and red peppers? But wait, lots of cheddar cheese, not only in the batter, but baked on top of the cornbread as well? And finally, and this is where the angels sing…crispy bacon…yes, bacon dancing throughout the soft cornbread. Now, that is Loaded Cornbread!
I am not sure when I first made this Loaded Cornbread recipe for my family. What I do know is that from the first time it was baked, my family was hooked. I have loved making it over the years for dinner, pot luck’s and especially for football parties!
So, enjoy this incredible recipe for your Super Bowl Party. Or, if you do not want to tackle (no pun intended) the grocery store, save it for the next time chili is on the menu or serve it with a crisp dinner salad to make a meal out of it. Or, I know, how about with some Chicken Tortilla Soup? Lots of options for enjoying this wonderful cornbread. Happy Super Bowl Weekend from the Memorable Kitchen!
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (see note)
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup jarred or fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup jarred pimentos
- 1 8 oz. can cream style corn
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking pan with aluminum foil. Place bacon on foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. Bake an additional 5 minutes if needed, until crispy. Remove from the oven, place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Crumble into small pieces. Turn down the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a cast iron pan or 9x9 baking pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Beat or whisk until combined. Add in onion, jalapeno, pimento, and cream style corn. Mix with a fork until blended.
- Combine, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a separate bowl. Pour into wet ingredients. Mix with a fork or whisk until combined.
- Blend in bacon and 1 cup of cheese. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. After 15 minutes, sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on batter. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges.