I thought I would round out my week of Christmas Cookie recipes with my family’s all time favorite, Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. This recipe is actually a variation of a recipe my mom always used to make called Peanut Blossoms. You know, the ones where you take a basic peanut butter cookie dough and after you bake them, you place a Hershey’s Chocolate Kiss, right in the center of the warm cookie!
What could be better than a soft peanut butter cookie “kissed” with a little bit of chocolate. Well, I’m going to tell you. You raise the bar on this cookie recipe by adding a Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup to the center of the cookie! That is what transforms these cookies into Peanut Butter Cup Cookies.
Now, my mom’s recipe for the peanut butter cookie base was nothing short of spectacular. I am not sure why, but this is one of those recipes you just don’t mess with. I am not sure where she got it from but she has passed it down for all of us to enjoy.
What makes this recipe for Peanut Butter Cup Cookies even better is that you bake the peanut butter cookies in a mini muffin tin first. Then when you place the peanut butter cup down in the center, it is like it is being wrapped in a warm peanut butter blanket. What could be better than a peanut butter cookie, wrapped around chocolate, wrapped around some more peanut butter?
I know what may be even better, a warm Peanut Butter Cup Cookie with a glass of cold milk. Give Santa and extra special treat and make him some of these wonderful cookies. A traditional favorite, with a simple twist. Enjoy the holidays making memories in the kitchen with recipes like this one. Merry Christmas from The Memorable Kitchen.
- ½ cup shortening or butter
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 24 Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (foil and paper wrapper removed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 24 well mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Cream together shortening or butter, peanut butter and sugars. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, milk and vanilla. Continue beating 1 minute until well blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add into creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Shape by rounded tablespoon into balls. Place in prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and quickly place a Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup into each well.
- Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.