I know, the moment the weather turns cool and the holidays are upon us, everything turns into a Pumpkin Spice Wonderland! But, can you not help but love it? It is like the smell of white vinegar in the Spring when you dye Easter eggs. Or the smell of the first grilling session on the backyard grill after a long winter. Pumpkin Spice just says to all of us, it is Fall. And to me, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread seals that deal.
I know, for some of you that do not like pumpkin at all, this time of year can be pretty tough. Everyone is trying to convince you how amazing there version of “Pumpkin Whatever” is. Am I right? Well, I am not going to do that. I am going to tell you about an amazing quick bread that just happens to have pumpkin in it. Not fair. But, actually I have turned some non-pumpkin fans into believers with this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread recipe.
One of the best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip breads I have ever tasted is from Great Harvest Bread Company. The bread is so moist and the chocolate chips just balance out the flavors of the pumpkin and all the other spices. I love using dark chocolate chips too for added richness. This is a wonderful bread that you can bake ahead and freeze for breakfasts and snacks or a special gifts for the holidays. So, enjoy filling your house with the warm smell of pumpkin, spices and chocolate. What could be better? Happy Holidays!!!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 12 oz bag dark chocolate chip
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9" x 5" loaf pans with flour based cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flours, salt, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Add in pumpkin, vanilla and water. Mix together until combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in dry ingredients with a spoon or spatula. Stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Store in plastic bread bags or foil. Bread can be frozen for up to 6 months.