We all know KFC’s chicken but have you ever wondered how to replicate that same taste at home? well, today I am going to teach you Air Fryer Fried Chicken KFC Copycat Recipe.
Have you perhaps switched over to a healthy lifestyle and consumed a healthy diet only? But you also crave your favorite crispy and juicy chicken from KFC, and do not want the disadvantage of excessive grease or oil? Are you wondering whether you can perhaps make a healthier and at-home version of it?
You can prepare a delicious KFC style fried chicken right at your home using an air fryer. An air fryer will eliminate the need for using excessive grease or oil for frying the chicken. And you will have a healthy, crunchy, crispy from the outside and juicy from the inside, KFC-style chicken.
Want to learn the recipe for a homemade KFC copycat recipe? Read on to learn more…
Why Use an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is an electric convection oven household appliance. It was designed to eliminate the need to deep fry your foods by instead circulating hot air to simulate the effects of deep frying.
Using an air fryer for cooking chicken will give you that crispy and crunchy taste without you having to use excessive oil or grease to deep fry it. It will ensure you do not consume extra calories while enjoying your healthy chicken recipe.
Also Check: The Best Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Use of Buttermilk For Marination
We will use buttermilk to marinate the chicken pieces as it will make the chicken pieces tender. The acidic yet creamy nature of buttermilk will soften the fibers of the chicken. However, it will not make your chicken dry as the acidic levels of buttermilk are pretty low.
Advantages of This Recipe
The major advantage of this Air Fryer Fried Chicken KFC Copycat recipe is you do not use deep frying. Deep frying can be bad for health as it increases the number of excess calories consumed.
The cooking time of the recipe is less. So, if you can marinate the chicken overnight for a quick fix the coming day.
I personally like to avoid MSG or any other artificial flavorings at home. This recipe makes sure that MSG or any artificial flavorings are avoided.
Also, I find that the recipe is super easy to make and requires no chopping of any ingredients!
Precautions to be Taken While You Use an Air Fryer
Beware- the air fryer tends to heat up pretty quickly. I can tell from personal experience that overheating the air fryer can charr your chicken. Charred food can be carcinogenic and is not safe for consumption.
Limitations of the KFC Copycat Fried Chicken Recipe
According to me, the only limitation I find is that this copycat KFC fried chicken recipe cannot be made in larger batches for family events or gatherings.
I found this limitation when I had to cook larger meals and I found the size of the air fryer to be too small. I found that you can cook at most 8-9 chicken drumsticks at a time.
So, if you have to cook the chicken in a larger quantity you will have to do it in batches.
Cooking in batches can be time-consuming.
I hope you find Air Fryer Fried Chicken KFC Copycat easy-to-cook, hassle-free, simple, fast, and above all healthy KFC copycat recipe whenever you get the craving to eat some of your favorite crispy chicken from the comfort of your home.
Can the Fried Chicken Be Reheated Using an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can reheat the fried chicken using an air fryer. I usually set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) and air fry for 4-5 minutes. Along with this, I suggest not overcrowding the air fryer while reheating the chicken.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken KFC Copycat
- 8-10 Chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ cups All purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons White pepper powder
- 2-3 teaspoons Salt
- 3 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 ½ tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Dried mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- In a large bowl add the eggs and buttermilk. Whisk this mixture thoroughly till it is fairly smooth.
- Soak the chicken pieces or drumsticks in this mixture. Ensure that all the pieces are covered from all sides of the marinade. Set aside for marination.
- For best results leave the chicken pieces in the marinade overnight in your refrigerator or for 24 hours. Leaving it for longer will enable the flavor of buttermilk to permeate the chicken.
For Seasoning Mix
- In another large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cornstarch powder, black pepper powder, white pepper powder, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried mustard powder, dried thyme, dried oregano, dried basil, and ground ginger.
- Mix thoroughly to combine all these ingredients. Add 4 tablespoons of the buttermilk marinade to this mixture. This will give a crumbly formation to the overall seasoning mixture.
Preheating the Air Fryer
- If your air fryer has the option for preheating, then preheat it to 375 degrees for 5 minutes. If your device does not have the option to preheat then you can skip this step.
- Take the marinated chicken drumsticks and drip them off to let go of any excess marinade.
- Dip the chicken pieces one by one in the seasoning mix with light pressure so that the seasoning mixture sticks to the pieces. Coat each piece with the seasoning mixture from all sides. Shake off any excess seasoning.
- Place each piece in the fryer. Ensure that the pieces are not touching each other.
- Sprinkle or spray a little amount of oil over the chicken pieces with cooking spray.
- Air fry for 10-13 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- After the first 10 minutes of frying, stop the air fryer, and turn the chicken pieces to cook the other side of the chicken. Again spray the non-crispy side with some oil.
- Start the air fryer again and cook the chicken pieces again for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Once done, stop the air fryer and your chicken will be ready to eat. It should be crispy and golden brown from the outside.