In today’s cooking lesson, I will teach you my favorite salad recipe and that is California Salad Recipe.
When we were stationed in Lubbock, Texas in 1984, I became friends with a wonderful woman who shared this California Salad recipe with me and introduced me to healthy cooking.
By the way, have you checked my Russian Bean Salad and Healthy Asian Ramen Salad Recipe? if not, after California Salad recipe, go check them out as well.
She is a home-grown Texas gal and always made food that was healthy and very flavorful. All I ever knew about healthy food up to that point was the “diet” food I ate on the Weight Watchers program back in 1971.
That, my friends, is a long story I promise to share in the future. Since meeting her, I have enjoyed learning and creating new recipes with lots of fresh ingredients.
For this recipe, the nuggets of cream cheese, rolled in wheat germ, are what make it special.
- 4 cups of lettuce (I used Dole 50/50 mix of spinach and spring mix)
- 4 oz (1/2 of an 8 oz package of cream cheese)
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 2-3 small sweet, bell peppers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Optional ingredients: 1 small can sliced black olives (drained), ½ cup bean sprouts, cheese croutons
- 1 packet Good Seasons Salad Dressing mix
- Red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut cream cheese into small ½ inch squares and toss with wheat germ or you can also cut the cream cheese into the bed of lettuce, then toss with wheat germ in the lettuce
- Toss all ingredients except salad dressing with lettuce and cream cheese
- Mix Good Seasons mix with vinegar and olive oil, according to package directions
- Pour on salad and toss