In today’s cooking lesson, I will teach you my favorite salad recipe and that is California Salad Recipe.
When we were stationed in Lubbock, Texas in 1984, I became friends with a wonderful woman who shared this California Salad recipe with me and introduced me to healthy cooking.
She is a home-grown Texas gal and always made food that was healthy and very flavorful. All I ever knew about healthy food up to that point was the “diet” food I ate on the Weight Watchers program back in 1971.
That, my friends, is a long story I promise to share in the future. Since meeting her, I have enjoyed learning and creating new recipes with lots of fresh ingredients.
For this recipe, the nuggets of cream cheese, rolled in wheat germ, are what make it special.
- 4 cups of lettuce (I used Dole 50/50 mix of spinach and spring mix)
- 4 oz (1/2 of an 8 oz package of cream cheese)
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 2-3 small sweet, bell peppers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Optional ingredients: 1 small can sliced black olives (drained), ½ cup bean sprouts, cheese croutons
- 1 packet Good Seasons Salad Dressing mix
- Red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut cream cheese into small ½ inch squares and toss with wheat germ or you can also cut the cream cheese into the bed of lettuce, then toss with wheat germ in the lettuce
- Toss all ingredients except salad dressing with lettuce and cream cheese
- Mix Good Seasons mix with vinegar and olive oil, according to package directions
- Pour on salad and toss