You know, the more I cook, the more I learn. I learn about who I am as a cook. I learn about different cooking techniques. I learn about ways I can prepare food that will save me time. And probably, most importantly, I learn how to stretch one recipes into more than one meal, saving me, not only time, but money as well. That is exactly what this recipe for Pulled Pork Egg Rolls is. That’s my story and I am sticking to it!
The truth is, I can not leave well enough alone. I love creating new recipes and reinventing dishes by changing up a few ingredients or combining one or more recipes. That is how this recipe came to be. I had made a batch of my Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork and had a good amount of leftovers. And since I had some egg roll wrappers on hand, I figured, why not try some pulled pork as a filling. I also added some fresh veggies for a little crunch, and Voila, Pulled Pork Egg Rolls were born!
Now, it actually is true that I do love learning new things about myself as a cook and how different techniques can save time and money. This recipe for Pulled Pork Egg Rolls really does that. This recipe can be made with any Pulled Pork. A lot of grocery stores carry precooked Pulled Pork in their meat section which is a huge time saver. But there is nothing like slow cooked homemade pulled pork. When I make my Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork, I sometimes make a double recipe and then portion it out. Some I freeze and save for future meals, like these egg rolls and the rest I enjoy right away!
Since most of the work is done with precooked pulled pork, the rest is pretty simple. All you do is reheat the pork, add in some extra veggies and season it up with additional barbecue sauce. Then you wrap it all up in egg roll wrappers and lightly fry them to a deep golden brown. I have also learned that you do not have to deep fry egg rolls. I simply fry them in a frying pan using a small amount of oil. The egg rolls are just as crispy and not as oily.
So, enjoy this new twist to a traditional egg roll for your next party, football get together or serve with some stir fried veggies for a full meal. Another new creation from the Memorable Kitchen!
- 4 cups prepared pulled pork (I used my Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork)
- 2 cup bagged cole slaw mix
- 1 cup carrot shreds
- ½ cup barbecue sauce plus more for dipping (I used Sweet Baby Rays Original Barbecue Sauce)
- 16-20 egg roll wrappers
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup peanut or canola oil
- Place pulled pork in a large frying pan on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cole slaw and carrots.
- Turn heat up to medium high and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and heat for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- On a clean counter or cutting board, place one egg roll wrapper with one of the points facing towards you.
- Place ¼ cup of the filling in a 3 inch strip across the middle.
- Dip your finger in the water and lightly wet the edges of the egg roll wrapper.
- Fold point nearest to you over the filling, then placing the left and right tips over the flap. Tightly roll the egg roll the rest of the way, using more water to seal. Set aside on a plate.
- Repeat with remaining filling and egg roll wrappers.
- Place a large frying pan on medium high heat. Place oil in pan. Adjust the heat down to medium if oil starts smoking.
- Place 4 egg rolls at a time in the pan. Browning about 1-2 minutes on each side and turning until crispy and golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel lined plate or cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Serve warm with extra barbecue sauce.