I know, Old Fashioned Lemon Bars…who doesn’t love them? This is one of those beautiful baked items that truly are an old fashioned treat.
Many of us can remember our grandmothers making these at one time or another. I will have to admit, I usually do not bake these until the holidays.
But, let’s be serious, who would not love these melt-in-your-mouth morsels any time of the year? They are so easy to make, do not require a lot of ingredients, and they are just a classic dessert, cookie, or bar, whatever way you look at it.
The reason I seem to only make these at the holidays is that after all of my chocolate, nutty, peppermint, gooey cookies, I need something to bring a fresh element to my cookie tray.
Note: Have you checked my Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin and Coconut Cookies?
It always seems that I turn to these luscious Old Fashioned Lemon Bars.
Old Fashioned Lemon Bars
What is it about these little goodies that make them so many people’s favorite? It has to be the buttery crust, right? Or is it the cool and creamy lemony middle layer? Or maybe that final dusting of powdered sugar that you can adjust to the proper amount of “snowiness”? I think it is that the flavors just seem to balance out to the perfect bar cookie.Old Fashioned Lemon Bars
Not only are these cookies a family favorite at the holidays, but they are also perfect for a summer dessert, after school snack or the perfect sweet with a cup of tea.
For a flavor twist, try substituting orange juice or lime juice for the lemon juice in the recipe. Then add food coloring to make the bars a little more green or orange depending on the flavor you choose.
So, for my third day of cookie recipes, I am giving you this simple gift of Old Fashioned Lemon Bars to enjoy this Holiday Season or any time of year.
Merry Christmas Baking!
Now let’s move to the Old Fashioned Lemon Bars recipe.
Old Fashioned Lemon Bars
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 lemons, juiced (about ½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, blend together butter, 2 cups flour and ½ cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1½ cups sugar and ¼ cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool completely.
- (The bars will set up as they cool) Cut into 2 inch squares.